My Quivers

My Quivers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

R.I.P. "frig-ity" the frog

deep sigh...i lost a frog...the first to grow all four legs...i fondly referred to him as: frig-ity.

i was much more distraught over this find than the kiddos.

we still have 3 tadpoles...one of which is sprouting his second set of legs...i am wondering if i should have supplied some crickets or something...which...i am not sure if i am capable of doing?

anyhow.

my darling son has had some regression issues...i have been trying to ignore them all summer. it started with this wicked rash which has grown into wicked sores...it's terrible. it has culminated with his weepiness, lack of eye contact, peripheral stemming, need of mommy as an anchor, etc. i initially thought he was just really loving me...as he started needing me to hold him more...but i have noticed that he is needing more than cuddles...he is using my arms to squeeze him (sensory input), my hands to bang.bang.bang. (more sensory input), my body as a trampoline (even more sensory input). he is hiding under covers in tears...red cheeked and splotchy faced...his eyes have dark circles. i cannot deny...my son is regressing.

just one month ago i commented: he is as recovered as he needs to be.

wrong.

the funny thing...the human body...it's fragile...and what seems like a summer of fun and innocent indulgence has led up to: regression.

but my God is big...bigger than autism. and my son is in there...and he isn't trapped...and i'll be damned if he becomes that way due to my laziness!

that being said...we start a very strict diet tomorrow. south beach stage one for the grown ups...and little to no un-necessary carbs and NO SUGAR for the kiddos...we will all be miserable for the sake of healing...but in one to two weeks...i am betting we feel better than ever!!!

oh, gotta go...the doorbell is ringing...it's the pizza delivery man!! HAHA...OA and i are having a farewell party to carbs and crappy eating!! *sheepish grinning sigh*

5 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Sorry about the regression. No more skittles, huh? :) Well, at least you know the diet really does work! Good luck getting back in the groove. And Solar is right...you CAN do it! :)

As far as Frigity...that's sad. What are you feeding them? I think we had tadpole food from the pet store...some kind of tablets. I think you do have to make sure they have plenty of bugs...flies, crickets, etc. once they're out of the water. Good luck on the others!

Melissa said...

Have a gr8 pizza party!
I love all of you and, as always, I am the NuT in the corner cheering you on wildly!!!

Kat said...

Hi, I don't normally comment but just had to this time! You mention your son got a wicked rash that turned into sores. I get a rash like that and it's related to Celiac disease, called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Has he been tested for Celiac disease? Might not be related, sometimes kids get rashes for no apparent reason, but just wanted to share info.

Either way doing the diet you suggest should help. Good luck! I hope he feels better.

Cheryl Pitt said...

Aw, poor froggy. We lost a frog in once. It bothered me too, I don't know why. there is just something about cute little frogs.

Good luck getting your son's symptoms under control. I'm sending you strength. Girl Power!!

Kat said...

Hi again, I was tested for Celiac too and it was negative. Even so, I found cutting out gluten helped tremendously but not enough. I have taken it further doing SCD diet and GAPS diet, with some of my own tweaks. I'd be happy to offer some help and give you some resources I have found helpful. Let me know if you'd like more info, my email is kat.garson @ gmail.com.