So tonight I took my kiddos to a fencing class. We were able to meet our very best friends who were also giving it a try. It's in a big church gymnasium of sorts; to be honest, I was floored at the amount of people who were interested in fencing.
As we were walking in, J-bob started doing some very weird-very serious stretching-pausing-stretching-facial-grimacing poses. I was immediately reminded of Napoleon Dynamite and didn't know whether I should burst into tears or peeling laughter. That boy of mine.
The class required alot of blocking out other sensory stimuli, lots of verbal multi-step commands, repetition, uncomfortable stances, and losing a fencing version of "Simon says". All in all...with only a very small heart breakingly disappointed reaction to getting out early on in the game...J-bob did beyond my expectations!!
Mermaid was adorable. The smallest, shyest, sweetest little princess...who may have very well fallen in love with the sport of fencing tonight. She was asking if it could become apart of our school routine. Oh, how I love home schooling.
I was instantly reminded of how young my "small packages" still are. They seem so grown up to me these days. I was very thankful for God's gift of tender reminders that my babies are still my babies...despite their every growing shoe size.
There was an incredible young man...I am guessing maybe twelve or a bit older...poor boy...stuck in the newbies group with us misfits...he gave me hope. He was chivalrous, kind, and down right enjoyable.
Big Warm Sigh.
I almost feel guilty...having such an incredible night while so many are suffering devastation in Haiti. May God wrap His arm of peace and love around them all this evening.
3 comments:
I'm glad you had fun! Any pics?
i did not take pics...our camera is terrible and broken plus OA couldn't make it so i was busy shuffling around with the kiddos! i will try and remedy the lack of pics next week...it's really TOO cute!
I know exactly what you mean about the guilt of enjoying something with the disaster of Haiti. I tried to explain to riley about some boys and girls not getting to read books before bed last night. I couldn't watch the news today because I spent all day yesterday watching it. Sad.
Post a Comment