I walked into their room---almost only her room again---to find my Mermaid violently shoving our Toddler's leftover unpacked clothes into a hot-pink suitcase. Her movements had an edge to them that I recognized in my own forced motions. She was hurting. And she was trying to hide it. I shut her door and made her come sit with me.
As she walked over to collapse into my lap she began to groan an angry: I DON'T WANT THEM TO LEAVE. I felt the weight of all that my family had opened itself up to this last year and half crash full-force around me.
{This, this is why you didn't want to foster, isn't it?
Yes, baby. This exactly. (I didn't mention that the part I was referring to was her pain)
But, I am glad we got the Littles.
Yes, baby. Me too. So glad.}
I left her room wondering when she'd blossomed into this complex creature who felt so deeply and loved so fiercely and tried to look so strong amidst internal sorrow. Again I was reminded how she encapsulated so much of me and her Daddy yet was fast becoming a version of us that was all her own. I headed to my bedroom and shut the door. I stumbled into my bathroom and shut that door as well. I slid down the wall and cried the hottest tears I have cried in a very long time hoping that the insulation of two closed doors would protect my children from seeing their Mom truly fall apart.
I thought about my friend and her recent tattoo of a lotus. Apparently they bloom in mud and muck. I thought about how God could use the fracture my absence is creating in my toddler's heart to develop the early plantings of character and of compassion. I imagine my Spider-man as a Joseph to his family. A child who will grow into a man that will lead the way to redemption of a whole family...a cycle breaker. I thought about my "one" who was no longer with us. How we practiced facing unimaginable disappointment and packing of possessions and the shelving of our own expectations.
I didn't ask for ANY of this.
But down deep I know that I did. When I asked Him to empty me...to break my heart for what breaks His...to help my family learn to live a life that is fully poured out.
This, this unselfish love for others that can only be found in Him--- His example as a parent to His children who He loves more than I can ever comprehend.
This, while painful to watch, is beautiful to live.
Tomorrow a family will be reunited. At a great cost to my own. But at an even greater by-product of growth for my own.
For this, I am so glad.
2 comments:
I wanna be you when I grow up. Love you friend.
I love you
Post a Comment