My Quivers

My Quivers

Friday, July 10, 2009

listening to God...brown paper bag

so...i am realizing more and more...how i have only been half listening to God for many years now...probably because the cries and screams of infants and toddlers coupled with the extreme lack of sleep...drowned out most every one's voice. i will never forget sitting (more like-slumping over) a table at a woman's conference after having j-bob. we were supposed to "get to know" each other. the other ladies were dressed nicely, fresh make-up, smiles. i was still wearing yesterday's clothes in which i had slept in...probably had make-up from the following week smudged here and there...and my face was far from smiling a real smile. i just wanted: SLEEP. this sweet unsuspecting lady turned and looked at me went on and on about how often she did devotionals and which ones she did...

then asked: so where/when do you do your devotionals?? (insert her big perky well intentioned grin)

me: (insert my guilt-ridden-blushing-shocked-face)...ummm...on the toilet...?

i mean really moms...there are seasons in our life...and my good friend who happened to also be the wife of a preacher...my preacher...well...he is far from a "preacher"...more like an amazing teacher of the Word...ANYHOW...i confided to her one morning that i was failing miserably as a mom because i never read my Bible. she looked at me with the kindest eyes and reminded me to stop worrying...spend as much time with God as i could...and that doesn't HAVE to be in the form of a "scheduled" devotional...

today...i get what she was saying. those early years (and here is where the brown paper bag comes in...for me to breathe in...because...I AM PAST THOSE YEARS...BIGGEST-SOB-SIGH-SNOT-BUBBLE-SOB...and onto a new season with my kiddos) i learned more about the Heart and Grace and Mercy of God than i have my entire life. being a mom is exhausting...takes you to the brink...and then some...and without God...would have left me sucking my thumb in the fetal position with the covers pulled up over my head.

but because of God...i have been shown so much about what unconditional love, patience, prayer, faith, and trust really and truly look like. i am pretty sure all of those things are personified in the heart and eyes of my precious kiddos. and because of those precious kiddos...and the daddy i have lusted, loved, hated, cursed, loved, and once again lusted (yes marriage is a whole separate blog!), the most amazing daddy i have ever seen...working together through all things said: family.

if you are a new mom...hold tight to these years...you will soon miss sleepless nights...crying with your infant bc you cannot soothe them...diapers...BREASTFEEDING...the way those precious angels latch on...and you...YOU...are giving them all they need to survive...it's so incredible...being a mom...and as much as i desperately cherish those memories...i am excited about (yet brown bag is still close by) what God has for this season. the season of questions, recovery, personality, and learning.

*sigh*sigh*sigh*sigh

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh...Heather...I'm gonna print this off and take it UP TO THE HOSPITAL where a very dear friend of mine is about to deliver her first child into the world...what a wonderful testimony...

Emily P said...

Great post! I whole-heartedly agree! Today, someone was mentioning how they would love to be 20 again. I said, "NO WAY! I LIKE the age I am right now!" I like where I am and who I am with (I, too, am in lust with my baby-daddy!). Good girl for cherishing and appreciating where you are! Ain't we havin' fun!?!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Wow! This is a good one! Thanks.

And, the kids are in a new season...but an exciting and NEW season that YOU get to enjoy!