My Quivers

My Quivers

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Spontaneous hugs



Looking back, we always thought it a cute quirky personality trait...the "backwards hug".
Now I wonder, did it hurt to hug...was it a frustrating requirement that was constantly being requested?

Sigh, how does a mother so involved fail to notice that her son rejects hugging? For that matter, how does a mother who prides herself on being so connected to her children not realize that her son more than avoids eye contact...he frankly never locks gazes...deeper sigh...

Well, today I got more than a backwards hug...three months into the gfcfsf (gluten free, casein free, soy free) diet, supplements, and enzymes...I got a SPONTANEOUS hug...and guess what else? A SPONTANEOUS kiss with a held gaze to boot!!

So for the hippo of a "MD" who told me that there was no "scientific evidence" that this diet works...I say...you will never make an unbeliever out of me!! The only eveidence I need is my son's sudden ability to spontaneously wrap his arms around my kneck, put his hands on my cheeks and plant a big wet one right on my lips, and randomly reach out to say..."i wuv you mommy!"

I think kids who begin recovery from the prison their brains are being held captive know more than most children how their mommy's are fighting like hell to win this battle against autism.

They see their mom's fight sleepless nights, depression, impatience, disappointment, anger, ignorant doctor's, family members, guilt, financial setbacks, and most importantly these children witness their mom's fight for the child they know exists inside the mind of their precious angel!

I feel my son's energy, love, appreciation, and I know he's fighting even harder than me!

I needed today...the beautiful sunshine, the windy trees, the spontaneous love...I sit back content...but only for a moment...as now I worry...does my daughter know I am fighting just as hard for her?

No comments: